Deborah Jean Nielsen, LMFT, ATR, EMDR Certified and EMDRIA Approved Consultant.
Over the course of twenty years, Deborah has worked with thousands of clients; resolving trauma and building on peace and confidence. Currently, sessions are being offered online through telemedicine.
Condensed Work History
For nine years, Ms. Nielsen conducted her psychotherapy office in Solana Beach, in San Diego County, California, serving children, adults and families. During that time, Ms Nielsen held the volunteer position of San Diego Regional Network Coordinator. She was also a HAP volunteer and part of the SD TRN Steering Committee (Trauma Response Network).
For fifteen years, Deborah served a lead Mental Health Therapist and Clinical Supervisor at an Indian Health Project in the Owens Valley, in Bishop, California. Concurrently she maintained her own practice, serving children and adults. She also served as a Mental Health Consultant for all the Head Start programs in Inyo and Mono counties. Ms. Nielsen was a Child Custody Court Appointed Mediator for two counties.
She has contracted for agencies, providing Art Therapy for youth, in Chicago and in San Diego. Deborah was a clinical supervisor for San Diego Youth Services. Deborah Nielsen is an EMDR Consultant.
School of the Art Institute of Chicago, BFA
University of Illinois Art Therapy and Jane Adams, School of Social Work, MA
Good Men Project, Online, Article: The Dance of Intimacy
Conscious Love and Soulful Sex, Chapter: The Dance of Love
EMDRIA, 2019 Conference, Orange County, California: The Metaphor of Metamorphosis with Children
Young Children and Perinatal Conference, San Diego: Young Children and EMDR Therapy
Toiyabe Indian Health Project: Heart Heals Heart Conference: Self Compassion and Journaling, Mindfulness and Visual Expressions
Owens Valley Consortium of Tribes: Lead Presenter on difficult communication: Building Bridges of Communication, understanding and collaboration
- Building Safety, assessing for danger and safety agreements
- Incorporating expressive and creative interventions
- Strengthening Communication and Assessment Skills
- Group Facilitation
- Addiction, Recovery and Youth
San Diego Youth Services
- Building Trust
- Creative Interventions
Inyo County Head Start
- Interventions for conflict and aggressive behavior
- Building Trust with Clients
Bureau of Land Management
- Building Team Collaboration
Neon Street, Chicago, Groups
- Art Journaling and Video Journaling with at Risk Youth
Toiyabe Indian Health Project
- Team Building and conflict resolution
Wild Iris Women’s Services
- Group and family Facilitation
White Mountain Research Station
- High Conflict Family Communication
Northern Inyo Hospital
- Compassionate Support of Parents and Kids
Early Work History
- Program Director and clinical supervisor for a twenty bed youth recovery treatment program in Malibu.
- Teacher and Counselor at Chrysalis Learning Community, a small alternative girls school in Chicago.